Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Analysis of a last second Ebay bid.

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I couldn't agree more Cameraguy. If one decides to sniper bid, they should wait till the last 30 seconds, bid the most they are comfortable paying, and cross their fingers.

    I messed up and bid a bit early. [img]redface.gif[/img] I got distracted by a phone message and panicked thinking I had waited too long to bid. As a result, I bid with around a minute to go, which gave others plenty of time to respond.

    And one fellow ebay bidder did respond, twice!
    But picture the other bidder. They see my bid, bid in response, and see that they have not bid high enough. Knowing there are only precious seconds to spare (they beat the close of auction on their second sniper bid by 2 seconds!), they only raise their bid one dollar!

    It's almost comical in a way. If they really really wanted the item enough to double sniper bid, then the second bid should have been for the most they could afford to pay.

    Although I must say they did me a favor, if they had bid any higher, I would have absorbed the higher bid and ended up paying more.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OH NOooooooo [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] Not another Super 8 [img]graemlins/film.gif[/img] Camera?


    Whad ...ya...buy??

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think I put a link above in case you want to see the item. Nothing fancy, just a two-line phone so that I can hook it up to my two line answering machine.

    I HATE digital sounding answering machines. I refuse to settle for a digital chippy sounding voice on my answering machine for either my message or the calls that come in.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A sniper snail bid

    If you check out bid history, you will see that someone waited even longer than me to make a bid. When they still were outbid by me, they bid again, two seconds before the close of auction, and they raised their bid a whole whopping one dollar!

    Why did they even bother?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 29, 2003 05:57 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    Original Message reinserted by the moderator to keep the topic thread intact.

    Originally posted by Alex:
    A sniper snail bid

    If you check out bid history, you will see that someone waited even longer than me to make a bid. When they still were outbid by me, they bid again, two seconds before the close of auction, and they raised their bid a whole whopping one dollar!

    Why did they even bother?
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">The idea is to not pay more than you originally intend. I NEVER place a second bid even though i usually have enough time. You got to draw the line sonewhere or you pay too much even if its just a few dollars. Money's tight and you must budget accordingly. I know i don't like to tap into my skittles trust fund [img]graemlins/rain.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 06, 2003 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •